8.24.2011

OPM {Overly-Superficial People Mature}

You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through.” - Rosalynn Smith Carter
If you don’t believe in yourself, then don’t expect others to believe in you. 
We live in a world filled with superficials. People can tout anything they want and puff themselves up. I have been guilty of this. I grew up being admired for my beauty (I don’t think I’m all that beautiful, but I am thankful that others do) and allowed people’s opinions to inflate my superficial confidence. Then I matured and realized that I’d much rather be known for what I do than what I look like. It’s easy to live off the admiration of others and go through life never questioning your true self. 
Some people that have never met me and may only read a tweet or two of mine will draw assumptions that I am ‘full of myself.’ Not true. Those that know me, know that I have a sense of self and will never back down from being true to myself. That is something that I am proud of. I was never proud of being superficial, nor should anyone be. 
Why am I writing all of this? Maybe for no other reason than to set the record straight, or maybe you’re reading this and struggle with this very same thing. Maybe it will inspire you to develop your true self and gain confidence in your ability. 
Golf is a world that is perceieved to outsiders for its arrogance. Yessssssss, it is. I’ve dealt with defending it since day one of stepping up to the tee box.  This is something I’d love to see change so that we may open the doors to more new golfers.  Let’s be confident, but let’s leave the arrogance at home. Smack talk is great, but who you know and what you know is far less important than what you do with those contacts and that knowledge. 
This week I was honored with the names of ‘a girl with swinging balls’ and ‘hot yoda’.   Yeah, I dig it. Thanks.
{cheers!} to living life to the fullest and yet doing it with class. ; ) 
Wanna put me in my place? Anytime. sandie@augustagolfgirl.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment